Thursday, October 8, 2009

Studying a law degree leads to a new understanding.

"Law is a tough subject."
"Law is a boring subject."
"Smart boy! Future lawyer, huh?"
"Don't you think law students are nerds?"
"Law students are so arrogant."
My personal favourite: "Don't sue me in the future!"

All above are the comments I heard from my friends, my relatives and the people I don't really know. :P

To be honest, at some point of time you guys really make me feel like "I give up!" You guys make it look so tough to me.. LOL.. So sad, huh? I know I'm not a straight As student, I know I play a lot of games, I know I'm not those smarties who make the library my second home, I know I'm lazy etc.

BUT! The "Study hard" concept is so outdated right now. Come on! We have at least 3-4 subjects to study under a single degree and law has 5 subjects, how are you going to study hard and read all the books? This isn't high school anymore. A text book now is at least 500 over pages. I miss my high school life now which the text books are new and remained "fingerprint-free" from the day I purchase it until the day I graduated!

Today, I just want to tell you, my friend, that law is not about rules and cases alone! *Gives you a big bang on your head* Get that outta your mind! Yes, I do read cases and statutes for the basics. However, my interest in law is not about "reading stories" or "earning big bucks after i graduate" but is about the future of our society. My lecturer once told me that lawyers are social architects. I agree with him, totally. Lawyers here means the people who knows the law, including the one who makes them. Our life is bound by the law. From the day our parents started their "project" making us, there is Abortion Act protecting us, until the day we die, there is a death certificate, Wills Act etc. What we are doing today and how we are doing things today are totally affected by law. So, how law can be a boring subject? :( It's so exciting and interesting because it made me realise a lot of things which a typical 19 year old man doesn't know. Besides, with the development of law, I can predict what can happen in this world in the future. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment